Letter for Mimi 2 – wip #32

There was a memory leak in the game where the grass over-sprites kept accumulating after the player entered the exterior. I have fixed it and added a ‘hack‘ to force the garbage collector to do it’s thing. It now runs each time the player switches worlds, to ensure any remaining garbage is collected. I am […]

Letter for Mimi 2 – wip #30

I have put the ‘map editor’ project on halt, because it became difficult to work on two projects simultaneously. Currently, the game is developed by manipulating the *.xml format by hand. In the future I hope to revisit the map editor project. Python and Tkinter turned out to be not suited at all for my […]

Letter for Mimi 2 – wip #29

There was a bug when the default world was smaller than the other worlds, the flxTileMap would not display properly when loading the larger world. I am not sure if this is a bug in Flixel or in my code, but I fixed it by resetting the flxLayer that contained the flxTileMap, and recreating the […]

Letter for Mimi 2 – wip #28

I fixed a bug where a character was able to walk on blocked tiles when a door/teleporter was next to a blocked tile. An example can be seen in the image above, the player walks on the stairs, the new world loads and he would have walked off the screen without a problem. Fixing this […]

Pseudo 3d scrolling example in Actionscript 3

A while ago I found this great resource for pseudo 3d racing games by Louis Gorenfeld. Unfortunately, the page is more of a general guide than a complete tutorial. I created the example above, the *.swf is locked at 6 fps so you can see the scrolling very clearly. You can expand it further if […]

Letter for Mimi 2 – wip #18

In the screenshot above you can see the current progress for the Letter for Mimi 2 editor. The editor is able to create and export *.xml files, which can be used in the game engine. I am planning to be able to have enough functionality in the editor so I can create content fast en […]

Letter for Mimi 2 – wip #17

In my previous post I pointed out a bug in the menu structure. When revising the code I decided not to redo everything to allow for a scrolling type of window. At the moment no more than 18 items can be displayed at the same time. This should be sufficient for a simple game. In […]