Letter for Mimi 2 – wip #22

After thinking about what I wrote in the previous update, I have decided to redo the Letter for Mimi 2 editor. Instead of just diving in, I am working on creating all the *.xml manipulating functionality first. Meanwhile I have also started on making mock-ups of how I want the menu’s to look like, which …

Letter for Mimi 2 – wip #21

In the screenshot above you can see the current state of the editor. For the GUI I used the tkinter package for Python, but it is a bit unintuitive to use which makes progress slow. I am in doubt if I should continue with this version or just start over and maybe use a different …

Letter for Mimi 2 – wip #18

In the screenshot above you can see the current progress for the Letter for Mimi 2 editor. The editor is able to create and export *.xml files, which can be used in the game engine. I am planning to be able to have enough functionality in the editor so I can create content fast en …

Letter for Mimi 2 – wip #17

In my previous post I pointed out a bug in the menu structure. When revising the code I decided not to redo everything to allow for a scrolling type of window. At the moment no more than 18 items can be displayed at the same time. This should be sufficient for a simple game. In …

Letter for Mimi 2 – wip #16

In the screenshot above you can see that I have added a ‘show coordinates’ option, this will display the current x and y position of the player in the top left corner of the screen. Having this in the production version might be useful for people who follow guides to find secrets in the game. …

Letter for Mimi 2 – wip #15

In the video above you can see how npcs can follow the player, in order to do this I have implemented the A star path finding algorithm. It is possible to talk to the person following you via the party option in the menu. This new feature will open new quest types, where you have …

Letter for Mimi 2 – wip #14

I have changed the grass overlay so it is an extra layer on top of the background tiles. Before this, a sprite was continuously being updated to the position of a character. Both approaches worked, but the latter increased the number of calculations per frame, so it might decrease performance when a lot of characters …

Letter for Mimi 2 – wip #13

Today I fixed the checkItem event, it is now able to check if multiple items (even duplicates) are present in the inventory. The next line in the dialogue will be the line with id 6 if there are two Town Maps in the inventory and one Test item. If this condition is not met, the …