kcnhgames.com header

Letter for Mimi 3 – wip #2

A short battle sequence for Letter for Mimi 3. I am redesigning the whole game since the battle engine was not planned very well in the previous attempt. For now I want to have a solid and working battle engine, and then add the rest of the gameplay (the adventure part) to it.

Posted in Game development | Tagged , , , , | Leave a comment

Added some buttons

lov_buttons
I tried out adding some buttons and some basic save functionality. At the moment it just copies the world object to your clipboard, but I will look into saving it using localstorage.

Posted in Game development | Tagged , , , | Leave a comment

Islands and framework progress

voronoi islands

I’ve started working on improving the framework. The most imported thing I did was create a namespace which contain all the game’s concepts. JavaScript does not have a proper class implementation like other languages do, so things are set up a bit different here. I read up on how to implement the idea of classes and namespaces in JavaScript and started implementing that for the game. Besides that I added functionality to create an island, as can be seen in the image above. All the cells at the edge of the map are turned into water, leaving a large land mass in the middle.

Posted in Game development | Tagged , , , , , | Leave a comment

More voronoi cells

Voronoi cells land provinces

Some thoughts and idea’s for the Voronoi cell strategy game. I’ve added a date timer, which will be the actual date in the world on which events are based. For example, moving an army might take 1 month depending on the distance between two capitals. The water cells don’t have a capital, and can’t be claimed in the usual way. Green cells are land provinces which have a capital and are owned by a faction/house. I want to start with just adding human settlements and maybe later expanding it with elves, dwarves and goblins. Each race will then have its own special features. For example, dwarves might get a bonus on smithing. For now the game is just all you can see in the screenshot above, but I hope to create a very elaborate empire managing game.

Posted in Game development | Tagged , , , | Leave a comment

Voronoi cells in Javascript

Voronoi cells in Javascript

Here is a screenshot of a little project I worked on yesterday evening. I worked on a similar project before in Flash, but it was a lot easier to do in Javascript by using libraries. I hope to create a strategy empire manager with it, so we’ll see how far I can get. 🙂

Posted in Game development | Tagged , , , , | Leave a comment

Jester Sokoban – Random trees

Jester Sokoban random trees

In the image above you can see the random set of trees that are generated for the level. I’ve decided to name the game Jester Sokoban since the main character is a jester, whose sprite I picked up in Kenney’s Roguelike character pack. In the past I’ve done a Sokoban style game before, and I thought it would be a good small project to launch my HTML5 games career with.

Posted in Game development | Tagged , , , , | 1 Comment

Sokoban wip

A quick Sokoban style game I have been working on today.

A screenshot of the Sokoban game I have been working on today.

Posted in Game development | Tagged , , , , | Leave a comment

Looking back on 2015

2015 was the year of Letter for Mimi 2, which was a success in my eyes. During this year I also finally made the switch from Flash to HTML5 and started working on Letter for Mimi 3. As explained in a previous post, doing the switch and starting a new major project turned out to be a bit overambitious. I have been more active on social media this year, utilising my Twitter more and asking YouTube Let’s Players to play Letter for Mimi 2. Besides that, I was also able to put up at least one post on this blog every month! All in all a good year if you ask me. 2016 will see the release of my first HTML5 game, so that is something for us all to look forward too!

Posted in Website | Tagged , , , | Leave a comment

Pico8

I have recently discovered Pico8, it is a cool little OS that is based around a 128×128 screen and LUA coding. I played some games and thought it would be cool if I could create an adventure game for it. After reading forum posts and the manual it turns out the licensing is a bit crooked; seems like the owner of the Pico8 engine can always claim your game idea. Besides legal issues there is also a limitation on the amount of code you can use to write a game: the cartridges can be 32k at max. Programming short functional code can be quite difficult! Anyhow, you can play games for free on the website without buying the Pico8 engine, I think I’ll leave it at that.

Posted in Game development | Tagged , | Leave a comment

Letter for Mimi 3 – Refactoring windows

I have been working on refactoring the code for generating the in-game windows and then replacing all the old code with the new ones. Due to the lack of experience with writing proper JavaScript code, I made some design errors which have to be fixed before continuing. Besides that, the code is now based around the adventure part of the game, while the core battle mechanics haven’t been properly written yet. It would have been better to start with the battle mechanics and then work out the rest of the game, in order to get a minimum viable product. Letter for Mimi 3 is a rather ambitious project, and perhaps I need to get my JavaScript game up by making a few smaller games first.

Posted in Game development | Tagged , , , | Leave a comment